Saturday, September 12, 2020

First Day of School 2020

A few weeks before school there was a lot of discussion and debate as to how to approach the school year amidst COVID.  The final decision was all online.  My heart breaks for the situation of the world and for opportunities lost.  I've been grateful to see the resilience of the teachers and kids as we keep moving forward in hopes of a return to normalcy in the near future.

The day we drove back from Pennsylvania was a meet and greet with the teachers--COVID style.  Hylie's third grade teacher, Mrs. Kimmerly just had a baby (yet she still showed up for the parade!) and will be on maternity leave for the first six weeks.  Mrs. Green will be filling in for her until then.

 

Hylie has been doing VERY well with the online format.  She stays pretty engaged and doesn't complain.  I am sad at how little interaction the kids are able to have with one another--Hylie is usually called on for a comment one or two times a day, but there is no chance to really talk with friends.

A few days before Eliana started class, she was beyond thrilled to visit the school and meet her teacher "IN PERSON".  She got to spend about 20 minutes one-on-one with Mrs. Klimes and for this I was so thankful.  Eliana LOVES Mrs. Klimes--everyday when Eliana's getting ready she talks constantly about how she can't wait to see her teacher.


I admit, the first day of kindergarten was ROUGH!  Kids were not muting, so the screen kept jumping from student to student.  There were a ton of technical problems and Eliana was pretty burnt out before lunch.  My heart ached to see the teacher near tears by the end of the day.  I called my parents in tears as well, wondering if I should just homeschool--not because I didn't feel the teachers weren't doing a good job, but because of the lack of interaction and distraction of technical difficulties.  However, I am grateful to report things continue to improve SIGNIFICANTLY.  At first, Eliana just felt all participation was optional, but as her teacher and I continued to prompt and encourage her, she is now getting up and moving during movement breaks, she is better about not typing in the chat field during class, she gets out the correct supplies and is doing her work, and Eliana is a master at unmuting herself when she gets to make a comment.

We continue to pray for solutions to COVID-19 but we also pray with much thanks for the resources we have to continue with public education during this different time.

No comments:

Post a Comment