I love preparing food--especially when it's for someone or a special event. So when birthday season comes around, I can't wait to ask my kiddos and Geoff what they want to eat for their special day.
Over the summer when we were with Grandma and Grandpa, we had some Neapolitan Ice Cream and apparently Hylie was fascinated with three flavors in one container! So for her birthday this year, she asked for a cake with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry flavors. I couldn't wait to put this together! I literally would lay in bed thinking about how I would combine these ingredients and make it as delicious as possible.
I love layered cakes, and because the consumers of this treat would just be our small family, I didn't want to make it super ginormous, so I used two small 6" round pyrex dishes. When I saw how tall they baked in the middle, I wanted to use the part I would cut off to level the cakes, and give the cake more height. But I didn't know how I'd successfully keep a nice, even shape.
As the cakes were cooling, the idea of the "Cake Pop Layer" came and I was so giddy to try it! I thought, if a cake pop could keep its ball shape, I'm sure I could make it keep the shape of a cake layer!
I mashed up the mounds of cake, mixed in a spoonful of frosting, molded the mixture into the 6" dish, stuck it in the freezer for an hour or so. And, voila! It worked like a charm!
The possibilities with a cake pop layer are endless! You could mix in chocolate, cookies, caramel or fudge ripples, nutella, strawberries...can you tell I'm excited about this! I can't wait for the next birthday cake so I can have more fun with this little discovery!
No comments:
Post a Comment