During our family reunion, Geoff and I reached a special milestone--our 10 year wedding anniversary. I don't know how ten years flies by in a blink of an eye, but it certainly did for us! We are so thankful for all of the experiences we have shared, for the children we have to love, and for the future we have before us.
For our special day, we decided to sneak away from the reunion for a quiet walk. Since we were in PA, I thought it would be nice for Geoff to see where my Great-Grandma Usenicnik lived and was the place my Grandma Furin grew up. Because someone else now owns the home, we just stood at the foot of the driveway.
This driveway is a sweet memory for me. We drove up this path every Sunday to visit Great-Grandma and would get here as early as we could on days it would snow because we would try to arrive before my Great-Grandma--at age 90--would shovel the driveway so we could walk up to her home!
Growing up I would often hear people declare, "Marriage takes work." I never understood what that meant and wondered why people rarely elaborated on that comment. After ten years of living in a marriage relationship I will agree, that marriage does take work. Anything worthwhile and with imperfect people is going to require focused effort. Effort to communicate effectively, effort to understand how to best help and support one another, and effort to know how to navigate the tides of change. Every day is a different day with different challenges and different joys. Being in a relationship isn't about following a manual or living by a checklist--it's about following your heart to be able to nurture each other's hearts. I'm so thankful for how Geoff has cared for me and my heart and am thankful for the fact that we have many more years ahead of us to continue to figure out how to grow in love and patience.
10 years, 4 kids, countless tears, and countless laughs later I can still sing, "Nothing's missing, nothing's missing, nothing's missing."

No comments:
Post a Comment