Wednesday, July 8, 2015

Fourth of July Weekend

This was our first weekend in Chicago for the Fourth of July.  Morton Grove has a little fair, and like a little school girl, I was giddy all week to finally go and experience a town fair again--it has been years and years since I've been on fair grounds and I missed being in that atmosphere.

Geoff humored me and we walked with the girls to the fair.  The rides looked just as sketchy-town as ever and unfortunately (or is it fortunately?) Hylie wasn't tall enough for them yet.




I must say, my favorite part was smelling the fair food.  Ha ha!  Geoff thought I was nuts, but corn dogs and funnel cakes just smell so, so good to me.  Before leaving we did splurge and get a funnel cake to share...just as yummy as I had remembered!

On the 4th our little town also had a parade.  Hylie went down for a much-needed nap just before it started, so Geoff stayed home with her while Eliana and I went to check out the festivities.  It was a very slow-moving parade, but I did enjoy the drum corp group and seeing the veterans march.  I stayed for an hour but probably only saw 1/3 of the floats--not because it was so big, but because it was. so. slow.  I called it quits when Eliana was showing signs of needing a nap.

That night we gathered with a few families for a BBQ and then watched the city fireworks from our front yard while getting consumed by mosquitoes.  It was a nice display and it was sure wonderful to just walk back into your house when they were done instead of fighting traffic.




We are so blessed to live in this country where we don't live in fear and enjoy the freedoms that we do.  Thank you to all who serve and all who have served and sacrificed so we have this blessed land today.

No comments:

Post a Comment