I set a timer to go off every 15 minutes to cue Hylie to sit down on the potty for a minute or two. The first three days there were rough: more accidents than successes, Hylie would dread when the alarm went off, and I was ready to throw in the towel! But by the fourth day, Hylie started to catch on. Soon after that, we weren't setting the alarm because she was starting to recognize when she had to go.
We had a sticker chart for her to fill out--she had to pee on the potty seven times and poop three times in order to get her special prize: Rapunzel and Eugene dolls. Believe it or not, her first success on the potty was a poop! Truly, I don't think Hylie even realized what she had done. I was nursing Eliana when the timer went off and Hylie sat on the potty. When the timer sounded again for her to get off, she said, "All done", pulled up her panties and walked away. After Eliana finished, I stood up and saw Hylie's nugget in the potty and squealed with delight. Geoff and I made a HUGE deal about it but Hylie didn't seem to realize why--but she sure didn't complain when she got a sticker and treat.
Hylie successfully filled up her sticker chart...on my birthday! By that time, she had more than tripled the "pee" stickers, but still had one more "poop" to go before she got her prize. That evening, Hylie was in the tub and said she had to go potty so I quickly snatched her out of the water and plopped her on the potty, dripping wet. Sure enough, she pooped on the potty! After she was done, she jumped back in the tub and said she was so "skited" (that's how Hylie says "excited") to get Rapunzel and Eugene when she was done with her bath. I was too elated to wait, so I brought in the much-deserved prize and let Hylie play with her dolls in the tub.
Boy, was she REALLY 'skited'!
We definitely have a lovely, big girl on our hands!


No comments:
Post a Comment