Friday, June 13, 2014

Zoo Fail

One morning when my family was still in town, Mom and Dad slipped away to get to the temple.  I decided this would be a great opportunity to take Hylie and Janna to the Lincoln Park Zoo.

We got there in good time and I went to the information center to find out where all the 'hands-on' exhibits were that Janna could experience.  They let me know of an animal presentation at 11:00 and then of the petting farm at the other end of the zoo.  At the animal presentation Janna and Hylie got to pet a little boxing turtle.

Working our way across the zoo wasn't the easiest.  When Hylie was cooperative, she sat on Janna's lap...that didn't happen as often and I would have liked and a lot of the time was spent trying to hold a squirming Hylie while pushing Janna, or trying to convince Hylie to stay with us as we walked through the crowded zoo.


Finally we got to the farm area and I went into a big red barn building thinking it would house the animals to pet.  It was a big interactive area for kids, so I let Hylie finally run free while I signed to Janna the information they had posted about hatching chicks.





Hylie was getting more and more ornery as we grew closer to lunch and nap-time, so I knew we had to act fast and get to the petting zoo.  I asked a worker and she directed me to the correct building.  We went in and all the animals were behind a double fence, not reachable to any guests.  Confused, I asked a worker where we could pet the animals.  He let me know it was here, but they won't open the animals for petting for another hour.  The minute he told me that, I just started crying.  I explained the main reason we came to the zoo was so my sister could pet the animals, but he claimed he could do nothing about it.  I knew I couldn't stay another hour with Hylie's stubborn and tired temperament.

I continued to cry as I pushed Janna and held screaming Hylie through the zoo, back to where we parked.  About half-way to our car, I was able to bribe Hylie to sit back on Janna's lap, making it MUCH easier to get through.  Just before we exited the zoo I asked Janna if she would like to use the restroom, which she did.  So I went into the building with the large "RESTROOM" sign posted on the front.  I didn't see them anywhere, so I asked a worker for their location.  He saw Janna's wheelchair and said, "Oh, the restrooms here aren't accessible.  You'll have to go back to another building in the zoo."  I was not impressed.  Luckily, we were able to get to those restrooms, but I must say, after this experience, I'm going to need someone to really convince me to give Lincoln Park Zoo another try.

Janna was a trooper the entire time, but I can't wait for her to come back and visit so I can take her on some other, more successful, adventures!

3 comments:

  1. This post was so sad!! I can't believe they didn't let Janna pet the animals. :( Not impressed with that zoo either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boo to the zoo but hooray for you for even trying to take Hylie and Janna by yourself! I'm sure Janna still had fun!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm impressed you ventured out on your own to the zoo with Janna and Hylie. I'm sure Janna was still appreciative of the effort you went through. And I'll bet she loved being out and about with just you and Hylie. I love the Lincoln Park Zoo, so sad that they wouldn't be more accommodating.

    ReplyDelete