I don't know how much 'help' I was, but it was so wonderful to be with Mer, her family, and other friends for the few days Hylie and I were there. I was also grateful Hylie got to meet so many sweet friends I miss terribly!
Jan Montgomery, Chris Atencio, Michelle Assaad, Me and Hylie. These guys were the BEST team-mates EVER when I worked at Walnut Hills Elementary. The years we were together were truly the best teaching years of my career.
Meranda Peterson, Karen Norris, Diana Moore, and Me. These gals are the best, most adventurous friends I could ever ask for. So many memories were made with this clan!
The trip was enjoyable and incident-free until the last night when Hylie didn't sleep at all...I wish I was exaggerating, but truly, we were up all. night. long. I don't know what the deal was, but she just cried and cried and cried. I didn't want her disturbing the entire house, so I picked her up and tried to tend to her needs. She caught on quick that mom didn't want her to cry and that I was willing to do anything to keep her quiet, so the requests started coming in: grapes, milk, show, music, coloring, books, baby doll, toys. I was not amused. Every time I put her down, ten minutes later the screaming would start again. Finally at 3:30 AM, I put her in the car and just started driving. An hour later she FINALLY fell asleep. I didn't dare move her from her car-seat until about 5:30. She slept until about 7:30. I was so exhausted and I think the lack of sleep brought on some severe nausea. I wasn't sure if I was going to make it through the flight home. Thankfully, a sweet brother who served in the Single's Ward Bishopric when I attended came to give me a blessing and I was able to get some medication through my Chicago doctor which enabled me to get through the flight.
I'm still not sure what prompted Hylie's crazy behavior, but I sure hope it never happens again!
Despite that last night, it was such a delight to be back in Denver. I was always surrounded by the most supportive friends and had some of the best experiences of my life there. Denver will always hold a piece of my heart. I'm also grateful that Mer continues to get stronger and stronger and is making huge strides in her recovery!


I'm glad you got to take such a fun trip! I'm also sorry Hylie put you through such a wringer. It's times like that that I've really had to learn what it means when the answers to multiple prayers are "no". I hope you've recovered and sometime you can look back at the experience and smile. :)
ReplyDeleteSo sad that we missed you by a couple months! Glad you were able to spend time with old friends despite Hylie's terrible night! Geesh, I can't imagine being up ALL night!
ReplyDelete