Saturday, September 1, 2012

The First Week Home

Figuring out life with a newborn has been a wonderful experience so far.  The main reason I can say this is because of the help Mom Nelson gave the first week we were home.  I also have been blessed with a pretty amazing recovery.  Fortunately, I have not been in a great deal of pain from the delivery and my energy levels, for the most part, have been up.  I was even able to attend church the day I checked out of the hospital because I was feeling just fine.

The spoiling by Mom/Grandma Nelson began at the hospital when she brought meals for Geoff while I was in labor, she also had dinner ordered for us so we both could eat after Hylie was born, plus she brought us breakfast that next morning (which was quite nice since at that time I had NO idea how to order meals from the hospital), she also brought us changes of clothes, toiletries...just anything and everything we needed.  Hylie was thrilled that Grandma went out and bought her some girlie outfits--all complete with ruffly socks and bows for her hair (well, technically they're for her head, I guess).  Even Mom Nelson's erratic driving couldn't keep her from spoiling her new little granddaughter. 

Hylie's sporting one of the outfits Grandma Nelson provided on her first trip to church.
Then when we returned home from the hospital, the spoiling came on even STRONGER.  Hylie loved all the attention and holding Grandma gave her.  (Some nights Hylie stayed sound asleep until 2 AM in Grandma's arms.)




Every evening we were provided with a yummy home-cooked meal that provided enough leftovers to feed seven armies.  Our freezer is officially packed full of meals waiting to be consumed when needed.  Mom Nelson did laundry, ran errands with and for us, and she even was willing to cut my hair!  It felt good to chop off at least 6 inches.

Mom was able to cut this 'do from a YouTube tutorial--isn't she amazing?

 Mom also was a great coach in helping us figure out how to bathe Hylie--before AND after her umbilical cord fell off.


All week I also found myself picking her brain and asking questions about what to expect with a little newborn.  What a wonderful visit we had while Mom was with us.  We sure hope our next opportunity to be together will be sooner than later!


No comments:

Post a Comment