Trunk-or-Treat event at church the Saturday before Halloween
This year, Hylie wanted to be a little character from the cartoon show "Bluey". She dressed up as "Muffin", a tiny cousin with a huge personality.
Eliana was pretty excited to dress up as Zelda, but not just any outfit would do--it had to be from the video game "Breath of the Wild". She knew I generally use a hoodie to serve as the 'base' of the costume, but this year when she told me she wanted to be a princess, she hesitantly asked, "And can it not be a hoodie costume?" Ha ha! I was grateful to assure her I can attempt costumes outside of the hoodie realm. I won't lie, this costume presented it's challenges...and I also found out how much I didn't know about sewing with metallic, four-way stretch fabric. Yikes!
After we had our trunk-or-treat event at the church, I could tell Eliana was a little less enthusiastic to dress up for Halloween. Eventually she shared she was 'embarrassed' that not very many people recognized who she was dressed up as.
Well, thankfully the kids at school pulled through on that one. There were a TON of boys dressed up as Link and many of them expressed excitement when they saw Zelda was there with them. I was delighted to see Eliana's smile in the (cold) school parade as she enjoyed being in character.
Lillian decided to take a little break from her Panda obsession and dress up as a squirrel. She was pretty specific on wanting the tail to stand up and not hang down--so I was pretty excited to have found this costume online for the same amount of money I would have spent on the fur alone to make the tail!
At first, Kyron said he wanted to be Mario...but when he announced that he got pretty quiet and then hesitantly revealed, "Actually, I want to be Bowser." Bowser terrifies Kyron. Whenever the kids are playing their Mario games and Bowser makes an appearance, Kyron leaves the room. And when we watched the Mario movie, Kyron was pretty quick to disappear when a scene with Bowser in it was even hinted at. I truly think this was a 'facing his fears' move, ha ha! But he LOVED the costume and even helped make it!
When I told him I was working on the spikes, he slowly looked up and asked, "Are they going to be hard or soft spikes?" And the grin on his face when I told him "soft" told me he approved. He then sat next to me as I sewed and turned the spikes right side out and pushed the pointy part up with a pen cap.
Lots of kids (and adults) expressed excitement when they saw him coming and it was fun seeing his slightly bashful responses.
As we were out trick or treating, I loved watching them go up to each door together and just as I thought Kyron was teetering out, he burst into a run and shouted, "I LOVE this, I LOVE this, I LOVE this!" Ha ha! Me too.

















No comments:
Post a Comment