Monday, December 21, 2015

Christmas Dinner

I know, it's not Christmas yet, but we jumped the gun and had a little Christmas evening with our family on Sunday.




We had a wonderful time singing and talking about the birth of our Savior, Jesus Christ.



Had some yummy dinner.


Geoff's 'artistic' shots of dinner



And exchanged family gifts.  I love how excited Hylie gets when presents are being opened, it doesn't matter who is opening it--she just loves the thrill of finding out what's inside!



I also decorated our Star Christmas Cookie Tree for our center piece (and dessert).  Technically, I was supposed to cut out twice as many cookies as I had done, but that would take a TON of cookie dough, so I thought I could put pieces of bread in between each cookie to give it a little bit of 'lift' so it didn't look so short and stumpy.



By the end of dinner, this is how our dessert was faring.  I think next year I will just make more cookie dough...ha ha!

We are so grateful for the Christmas Season and the opportunity it brings to reflect on the gift of our Savior.  As I was reading the scriptural accounts of His birth, I decided to focus on what we can learn from individuals involved in bringing this precious Baby to earth.  I was touched to see Mary's example of willingly (and without hesitation even though she did not understand all thimgs) accepting a call.  Joseph taught us how we can love and sustain one who has been called of God, he did not dismiss Mary when learning and believing her sacred responsibility.  When Joseph and Mary went to Bethlehem and were not able to stay at an inn, they went away from all the hustle and bustle and chaos that was found in the city to a quiet spot.  I need to allow myself to step away from the busyness of my life and turn to a quiet place where I can recognize how Heavenly Father can guide my path.  The shepherds demonstrated leaving what they were doing (which was quite important) to give time to the Savior (which was more important.)  And finally, the wise men.  They devoted years of their life to find the Christ child--years of study and of travel.  Their path was most likely not easy.  Yes, they had the star to guide them, but I'm sure there were cloudy days during their travels.  Because of the knowledge they had gained, they were able to keep progressing on their journey even when the light from the star was not visible.  I know I don't know and understand all things about Heavenly Father's Plan and our Savior's atonement, but I'm grateful for the things that I do understand.  This understanding continues to guide me, enables me to learn more, and helps me come closer to Christ.  May we all feel of His love and light this Christmas Season.


1 comment: