Every year I keep thinking our family will make it to a pumpkin patch, but for various reasons it hasn't panned out. This year I saw our local nursery was doing a Family Fall Festival and took Hylie and Eliana to check it out. The main pull for me was they advertised making your own scarecrow--Hylie has been asking about scarecrows a ton this fall, so I thought this would be perfect. When I arrived they had a little sign being held by an adorable scarecrow which read: Scarecrows: $5 Adult-size, $3 Child-size. Great! We can make a scarecrow for $3! So I stepped up to the cashier and asked for a child-size scarecrow and handed them $3. They took my cash and then asked, "Do you want a head for your scarecrow?" "Umm, yes?" That was an extra $2. I was worried what I had just gotten myself into. Sure enough they were nickle and diming EVERYTHING! Do you want a hat? A handkerchief? Hair? Eyes? So I got the absolute bare minimum but when they handed me all the supplies, there were no clothes included to make the actual scarecrow. Hesitantly, I asked about the body and got the response, "Oh, you're supposed to bring your own clothes." By then, I'm sure my face showed nothing but disgust and displeasure. One of the workers pulled out an old pink t-shirt and pants and said, "Here, you can have this." Amazingly, they gave it to me free of charge. I was then lead over to the scarecrow assembling area which was a massive pile of hay. With Eliana strapped to my front and a confused Hylie in tow, I started stuffing the head and clothes as quickly as possible. Poor Hylie had NO idea what was going on and was trying to help stuff--but it wasn't an easy task. I got the head and shirt stuffed, assembled and tied together but by the time I had the hat attached I could tell Hylie had lost all interested and was a little worried about being surrounded by 10-year-old boys jumping crazily in the hay. So I gave the pants back to the workers and got out of that mess as quickly as possible. Oh, and did I mention I'm allergic to hay? Ha ha! Thank goodness for Benadryl! The crazy thing was though, there were a ton of people making MULTIPLE, huge scarecrows! There were families carrying four or five to their cars. I may be missing something when it comes to scarecrows, but this was definitely not my bag. Fortunately, they had some other activities. Hylie got to decorate a pumpkin, get her face painted and they had a little photo area. But I don't believe we'll be returning to this event next year...

Hylie waiting her turn for face painting
Now if that doesn't look like a $10 scarecrow, I don't know what does!
Oh wow that is too funny! Sorry about the hay allergy that just makes the story that much better!
ReplyDeletehaha Love activities that turn into a total flop! I'm sure Hylie still loves her scarecrow!
ReplyDeleteThat is crazy to pay for each piece of the scarecrow! You should set up a build your own snowman booth this winter and reel in the cash! :)
ReplyDelete