Monday, October 24, 2011

A Lot Can Happen in a Year...

Believe it or not, October 24th marks the one year anniversary of Geoff and I knowing we even exist on earth. We (okay I) thought it would be fun to create a timeline of everything that's happened in the past 365 days...so here it goes:

(WARNING: The first couple of months are pretty detailed...I have to make sure the truth is set in writing.)

OCTOBER 2010
24th - Geoff and I attend our very first meeting as Stake Single Adult Reps.  I went begrudgingly, wondering how I seem to always be picked for callings like this.  Geoff, on the other hand, had no idea what he was getting himself into and was just along for the ride.  The first part of the meeting was for the entire region.  I slipped in the back just as the meeting was starting, Geoff was sitting in his typical choice of seat: the front row.  I didn't meet Geoff until afterwards when our High Councilman (yes, the one and only Jerry Cantrell) had the Denver reps all meet up for a few minutes.  Geoff sat next to me as we were asked for input on how to get more singles to events.  After the meeting, Geoff turns to me and says, "Well, since we'll be working together, we should exchange emails."  So I wrote down my address and he put down "hunkycoman@gmail.com".  Then he ran home and set up that account hoping no one else had that amazing handle.

NOVEMBER 2010
About a week after we met each other, Geoff gave me a call to see when we could get together to discuss our calling.  He even used the line, "I'm new to this Mormon/Singles thing so I need to know what's going on."

11th - Geoff and I met up at Wild Basil restaurant.  I was the nerd who came with pen and paper in hand so we could brainstorm ideas about our calling.  Geoff just came to gab with no intention of talking about our roles as Single Adult Reps.  We gabbed for hours and then walked around to find another restaurant for dessert.  Just before we parted ways, Geoff let me know he had a fun time and was surprised to find that I wasn't a stick in the mud.  What a great start, right?  I will admit, I smiled the entire car ride home and enjoyed telling my parents about our first date.  I still remember how they were in stitches the whole time I was recapping the goofy things Geoff said and did.

19th - Later that month we met up at a Single's Volleyball event to find that Single Adults don't like to talk or interact with one another when they're at volleyball.  All they want to do is play volleyball.  Hmmm.  Geoff was really working it that night because he came with another girl.  As planned, the three of us headed to a Wii party being held by other singles in the area.  I didn't know what was going on with Geoff's other lady friend, so I took the polite path and sat in the back of the car as we all told stories.  At one point during the Wii Party, I went upstairs to grab some pie and soon found Geoff with me in the kitchen and we gabbed for a bit.  I was dealing with a minor case of laryngitis at the time which Geoff apparently considered highly contagious.  Even though he was never closer than 3 feet to me, he made sure to text me over Thanksgiving break to let me know he was sick at my expense.

29th - Even though Geoff was still feeling a little under the weather, he kept our Olive Garden date he had set up which took place the Monday after Thanksgiving.  (He contacted me to reschedule, but I was booked the rest of the week, so he toughed it out.)  Yet another enjoyable evening of sharing dating stories and trying to explain the complex topic of "Mormon Dating".

DECEMBER 2010
4th - Geoff invited me over to his place for a "Cooking with Geoff" evening.  He made rotisserie chicken with steamed broccoli (it was steamed in the bag...with cheese--I was amazed!)  I brought some salad and dessert.  For entertainment, Geoff planned the steamy flick "In the Shadow of the Moon" which is a documentary of Astronauts who have been on the moon.  I enjoyed every minute of the date.

5th - We had another Single Rep meeting followed by the First Presidency's Christmas Devotional.  I enjoyed sitting next to Geoff for both events but then was crushed as I watched another girl ask him out right in front of me.  I cried as I drove home, mad at myself for getting my hopes up.  My pain was soothed, thankfully, when Geoff contacted me to see when we could get together again.

12th - I invited Geoff to come over to my place and join me for Christmas Cookie baking.  He came and we gabbed for hours and hours and hours and only had a dozen or so cookies baked by the end of the night.  I knew Geoff had two other dates earlier that week, so when he asked if we could be exclusive I was caught COMPLETELY off guard.  I told him I wanted to get to know him a little better before we take that step...  Thankfully Geoff did not give up on me.

18th - Geoff came over to make his epic pink pants.  We had a ton of fun working on his project and had a great time dining on Beau Jo's pizza to end the night.  I was realizing more and more how it would probably be a pretty good idea to be exclusive with this guy.

19th - Geoff came over for a dinner party I had with a couple in the ward and the sister missionaries.  Geoff stayed later to help clean up and gab.  I was leaving for Pittsburgh the next day.  He asked if I would text him stories while I was away.

During Christmas break Geoff and I exchanged many texts and emails.  I found myself smiling every time I heard from him.


JANUARY 2011
1st - Geoff picked me up from the airport (despite his dead car battery) and we went out for dinner to catch up about our holiday adventures.

7th - Geoff and I went out to Applebee's, drank tons of lemonade, and then walked around the Denver Temple talking about the Church and anything and everything.

8th - Ah, the night the "Ice Queen" finally melted.  Geoff came over to my place for a movie night.  While we were watching the Mormon version of "Pride and Prejudice", Geoff kept on trying to make the moves, but because I am so extremely clueless he finally just had to say, "Your left hand looks cold, can I hold it?"  Afterwards we talked again about being exclusive and I answered correctly this time.

FEBRUARY 2011
14th - Geoff surprised me on Valentine's Day by personally delivering a beautiful bouquet of flowers to my classroom.

Geoff and I made plans to meet Nana and my family.

MARCH 2011
 5th - Geoff surprised me with an amazing Kitchen Aid Mixer.  We both got a pretty good chuckle when we told our parents, they all had the same reaction, "Boy, this is getting serious!"  Making travel plans to meet the family apparently isn't 'serious', but getting a Kitchen Aid mixer--watch out!

29th - Our first trip together began!  We flew to Omaha to meet the Bishop who baptized Geoff, drove to St. Joe to visit with Nana, and then headed to Pittsburgh so Geoff could meet my folks.

APRIL 2011
16th - Geoff came over for dinner before I had to speak at Stake Conference...and he PROPOSED!  I said yes, and we officially became engaged.


MAY 2011
20th - We headed down to Tuscan to meet Geoff's family for the weekend.  We got pretty burnt in the Arizona heat, but it was worth it!

JUNE 2011
29TH - Geoff went through the Temple in Denver.  Life was pretty crazy for him with the end of the Second Quarter at work wrapping up, but he was able to make the time to do this now and was even able to visit the temple a few more times before we got married.

JULY 2011
9th - at 11:00 AM Geoff and I were sealed in the Washington DC Temple for time and all eternity.  We had a wonderful time being surrounded by friends and family.  Geoff then surprised me with a trip to Niagara Falls before we got to visit with the Taylors, Nana, and Uncle Bill and Aunt Chris as well as my Grandparents and Aunts and Uncles in Utah.

29th - We were also able to enjoy an Open House here in Denver.  What a huge help my parents and Dean and Andrea were for this event!

AUGUST 2011
We started teaching Institute for the Denver Stake.  What an amazing blessing and adventure this has been!

SEPTEMBER 2011
Geoff and I continue to laugh about the difference of men and women.  I never knew that "Woman Logic" could be so different from "Man Logic"!


OCTOBER 2011
Here we are!  One year later.  My Mom always told me when I meet the 'right one' it will go so fast.  As always, Mom was right.

 To celebrate our 'one year mark of knowing we exist on earth', we had a wonderful picnic dinner together on the balcony of Geoff's work place which has a BEAUTIFUL view of the mountains.
I love you, Geoff!  Thanks for the best year of my life.  Why do I get the feeling each year is only going to get better and better?

2 comments:

  1. You two are so cute together. Dianne, you should consider writing a storybook--you have a knack for keeping the audience (reader) engaged!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great story! Each year does get better and better.

    ReplyDelete